in 1992 (when shark cage diving was unknown at Dyer Island), White
Shark Ecoventures became one of the first companies to offer shark
viewing / diving tours in the channel at Dyer Island. The company
has gone from strength to strength and today, are better known as
the most experienced and longest established operator in the field.
Our directors consist of Cindy Thornhill, Mariette Hopley, Francis Saul.
Our company is Black Economically Empowered,
since we believe in gender and race equality as well as job creation
in order to fight poverty in South Africa.
Our tours are not only highly educational, but we also actively
participate in documenting valuable research information on great
white sharks, which is forwarded to Marine & Coastal Management
Research and various Marine Biologists world-wide. Our company were
the founders of the Great White Shark Protection Foundation, a body
dedicated to the protection and preservation of the great white
Our crew consists of; SATOUR registered specialized tour guides;
Dive Masters; Level 3 Medics; Qualified shark handlers and PDP licensed
drivers. Our skippers are licensed with ICASA (Independent Commission
Authority of South Africa), as well as SAMSA (South African Maritime
and Safety Authority
staff /crew member is highly qualified in his/her specific field
and combined have more than 20 years experience with the great white
- CINDY THORNHILL : Chief Executive Officer - (CEO)
- MARIETTE HOPLEY : Managing Director - (MD)
- FRANCIS SAUL : Director
- DEON VAN SCHALKWYK : Auditor
- GERDA HOPLEY : Accountant
- WILLEM COETSEE : Human Resourses Manager
- ANEL WIEHMAN : Human Resourses
- ELSJE SWANEPOEL : Legal Consultant
- EILEEN McCAUSLAND : General Manager
- SAREL ESTERHUIZEN : Logistical Manager
- NIKKI NICOLAIDES : International Marketing Manager - (London)
- LYDIA MYBURGH : National Marketing Manager
- JOHN HOPLEY : Operations Manager
- GLADWIN MONDSINGER : Maintenance Manager
- ANASTA ESTERHUIZEN : Retail Manager
- YOLISWA ZUBA : Hospitality Controller
- MARIANNE SPRINGBOK : Food & Beverage
- ELIZE MONDSINGER : Food & Beverage
- LUCAS MAGUNGXU : Tour guide, Shark Handler
- ALFRED MAGUNGXU : General worker
- DESMOND MAHLONTI : General worker
- JOANA VREES : Catering
- ROBERT COPE : Satour Registered Tour Guide, Level 3 Medic, PADI Dive Master, A1(1) Commercially licenced skipper, ICASA licensed radio operator and PDP licensed driver. Registered with SAMSA (South African Maritime & Safety Authority.
- WIEHANN MYBURGH : Satour Registered Tour Guide, Level 3 Medic, PADI Dive Master, A1(1) Commercially licenced skipper, ICASA licensed radio operator and PDP licensed driver. Registered with SAMSA (South African Maritime & Safety Authority.
- HANSIE VAN DER MERWE : A1(1) Commercially licensed skipper, Qualified shark handler, ICASA licensed ratio operator and Captain of the boat. Registered with SAMSA (South African Maritime & Safety Authority.